Voting ends, nation awaits results

BY ZBC Reporter

VOTING to fill the 28 vacant national assembly and 105 council seats ended at 7pm this Saturday, with the process having progressed well and described as peaceful at all the polling stations.

Speaking to ZBC News soon after the elections, ZEC election officers countrywide noted that the voting process had gone well.

“The voting process went peacefully in Kambuzuma, where we had 29 polling stations. We opened as early as 7am and closed at exactly 7pm. We only had incidences where we turned away voters for bringing wrong identification cards or coming to the wrong polling stations,” said Mr Addmore Guzha, Kambuzuma Constituency Elections Officer.

“Voting was very peaceful, we had very good cooperation from observers. We had incidences where some people were given assistance to vote and some were turned away due to several reasons ranging from late registration to the use of expired passports and drivers licences for identification. So, for all the 29 polling stations, I can safely say voting was peaceful and well coordinated,” noted an electoral officer from Kuwadzana East Constituency.

People with disabilities also spoke on the electoral process, pointing out areas that need improvement to ensure that the process does not leave anyone behind.

“I voted at Bumburwi Primary School and the process was overally good. However, for future elections they must make sure that polling stations are user-friendly for those living with disability. There is need for consideration for those who are on wheelchairs and the provision of sign language interpreters is also of high importance,” said Nyasha Mawende, an activist for people with disability.

Voters were casting ballots in 28 parliamentary seats, including 20 where opposition lawmakers were recalled.

The rest of the seats fell vacant following the deaths or reassignment of the incumbents.

By-elections were also being held in over a hundred local government municipalities.

The by-elections were supposed to be held within 90 days of the seats falling vacant, but they were delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.