Two minors perish in hut fire

Two minors perish as hut caught fire*

By Courage Bushe

TWO young children aged five and three died in an inferno when a fire engulfed their family home in Mberengwa’s Madhafu Village this Sunday.

According to a police report, their nephew Kudzai Bhasela, who was taking care of the minors, Devine Mpala and Junior Dube, went to Bonda Business Centre and left the children on their own.

It is suspected that the children might have lit the residues of harvested sorghum which was in the hut leading to the inferno.

Bhasela rushed back home after being alerted that the hut had caught fire, but only arrived when tragedy had already struck.

Zimbabwe Republic Police national spokesperson, Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi confirmed the incident.

“It is sad that the police is investigating a case where two minors were left at home by their nephew while in the company of a juvenile. They were playing in the hut where there were sorghum residues. They lit them and the hut caught fire,” said the police spokesperson.

The matter was reported at ZRP Mataga and police attended the scene.