Suspected housebreakers nabbed in Concession

By Tapiwa Machemedze

Police in Mashonaland Central Province have recovered stolen property worth millions of Zimbabwe dollars after nabbing two separate gangs of suspected housebreakers, which had been terrorising Bindura and Concession residents. 

Two suspects who targeted residential homes, churches, hospital and farms in Concession were nabbed by police detectives for unlawful entry on Monday, leading to recovery of television sets, laptops, solar panels, car tyres and gas tanks, among others.

Officer in Charge of the Criminal Investigation Department in Bindura, Detective Chief Inspector Abigail Size said the suspects were linked to eight cases of theft.

“We received information on the accused after their break in at Concession District Hospital where they stole batteries for the backup generator at the theatre,” she said.

In a separate incident, a gang of three from Epworth, Harare was arrested by police after allegedly wiping out an entire music studio in Bindura while the owner was away and allegedly selling the loot in Epworth.

“Our advice to members of the public is that we urge them to put identification marks and also make use of community policing initiatives such as join neighbourhood watch committees and joining neighbourhood watch institutions, for those who own motor vehicles we urge them to install alarm systems,” Detective Chief Inspector Size noted.

The five suspects have since appeared at the Concession and Bindura magistrates’ courts.