Major General Bhebe’s funeral parade set for Friday

By Peter Chivhima

A funeral parade will be held for the late national hero Major General Retired Sydney Bhebe’s at Charles Gumbo Barracks in Harare this Friday ahead of burial at the national Heroes Acre on Monday.

Relatives and colleagues of National Hero Major General Retired Sydney Bhebe converged at Cranborne West Marriage Quarters in Harare this Thursday to pay homage to the late national hero.

Relatives who spoke to this news crew said the death of Major General Retired Bhebe has left a huge void which will be hard to fill.  

Mrs Ruth Bhebe, his sister, said, “My brother was someone who was willing to help everyone and as a family, we have lost a pillar.”

His wife and children described him as loving and caring man.

“I have lost a friend who used to love me a lot. Sydney was my best and he was a very peaceful man who loved his children,” said his wife.

His son, Sydney, described him as a caring man “who was so passionate to see us his children have a better life,” while daughter Joan said, “We have lost a great man. Despite his position in military he was just a simple man. Whenever he was around we could feel we have a friend. we say dad rest in peace.”

After the funeral parade this Friday, Major General Bhebe’s body will be taken to his home in Bulawayo and flown back to Harare on Sunday ahead of burial set for Monday at the national Heroes Acre.

Major General Bhebe joined the liberation struggle after crossing into Zambia via Botswana in 1977 and received military training at Boma camp in Angola during the same year.

He was selected to undergo further military training in semi-conventional and conventional warfare at Boma in 1978.

At independence, Major General Bhebe was attested into the Zimbabwe National Army and rose through the ranks until he became Major General, a rank he held until he retired last year.