By ZBC Reporter
LAND barons are in for a rude awakening as they will be forced to compensate home seekers irregularly settled in various parts of the country, The Ministry of National Housing and Social Amenities has said.
Speaking this Tuesday, during the National housing tour, the Minister of National Housing and Social Amenities, Daniel Garwe said the government will not spare any land barons who fleeced desperate home seekers of their hard-earned cash.
“We are engaging the private sector to modern houses in the country and giving them land so that they develop as it is our vision and mandate for Zimbabwe to become a middle-income economy by 2030,” he said.
Minister Garwe pledged the government’s commitment to availing affordable houses to Zimbabweans to minimise accommodation challenges.
Last month early December, President Emmerson Mnangagwa received a land audit report, which revealed shocking details of how land barons fraudulently parceled out residential stands around urban areas countrywide, prejudicing government of over 2.9 billion United States dollars and duping thousands of desperate home seekers of their hard-earned cash.
The inquiry into the illegal sale of state land, which was instituted last year, revealed that people settled in 170 farms around urban areas live without necessities such as water, sewer, and roads. Harare tops the list of illegal settlements with 156 cases recorded, while Mashonaland East Province, which is home to Caledonia, has 120 cases.
By ZBC Reporter