By Tendai Munengwa
THE Government has given ordered 320 illegal schools and colleges that had been shut down for operating without licences to regularise their operations by March 31.
When the government shut down the 320 schools in Harare after embarking on an operation to restore order in the education sector, consequently more than 22 000 children faced the risk of failing to return to school.
Permanent Secretary for Provincial Affairs and Devolution in Harare Province Tafadzwa Muguti says the government has therefore given a 60 day grace period for the schools to regularise their operations.
“We have considered the plight of children 22 569 children enrolled at these illegal schools and colleges will be affected when schools open next week. The ministry of primary and secondary education in consultation with stakeholders has therefore extended a grace period up to March 31 for all illegal schools to regularize their operations,” he said.
However, the law will take its course with 273 owners of the schools set to appear in court soon after being arrested for violating the country’s laws.
The schools were given an ultimatum after the office of the Minister of State for Provincial Affairs and Devolution for Harare Metropolitan province launched a blitz in collaboration with the Ministry of Primary and Secondary Education and Zimbabwe Revenue Authority.
According to information gathered by Zbc News, most of the schools failed to present authorised building plans with some set up expensive structures without council approval and EMA clearance permits.