Covid-19: Government to deport those without medical clearance

By ZBC Reporter
CABINET on Tuesday approved to have people visiting Zimbabwe from countries affected by coronavirus (Covid-19) to be deported at the port of entry if they fail to produce valid medical clearance obtained from their respective government hospitals in respect of the virus.
Coronavirus which originated from the Chinese city of Wuhan has spread to various parts of the world, recording a death toll of over 3 000.
The medical clearance certificates should show that the visitors were examined for the Coronavirus symptoms and tested negative.
So far, over 6 000 people have been screened of the virus at ports of entry, mainly Robert Gabriel Mugabe International Airport.
Responding to questions from the media during a post-Cabinet briefing in Harare Tuesday, Health and Child Care Minister, Dr Obadiah Moyo said the Government was taking the tough measures to ensure Zimbabwe was not affected by the virus.
“Those who come without medical certificates showing that they were examined by Government doctors from their countries of origin, we will simply say ‘thank you for the visit, but we are sending you back,” said Dr Moyo.
“We are doing this to ensure that we don’t have people who bring coronavirus into our country. We will take all stringent measures to ensure that we don’t have coronavirus in Zimbabwe.”
Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services Minister Monica Mutsvangwa gave a detailed brief on Cabinet deliberations on Covid-19.
Zimbabwe has not yet recorded any case of Covid-19. The minister said the two suspected Covid-19 patients isolated so far tested negative and had been discharged, adding that Government would continue to monitor them.
All Government emergency agencies, including the Department of Civil Protection, have been directed to be prepared for any Covid-19 outbreaks.
She said spot checks on visitors on the 21 self-quarantine period should continue to be enhanced.
“There was a report that was given by the Minister of Health and Child Care which was an update on the national preparedness and response progress regarding the 2019 Coronavirus/Covid-19 virus,” said Minister Mutsvangwa.

%d bloggers like this: