Chin’ono in fresh bid for freedom

By ZBC Reporter

HOPEWELL Chin’ono’s bail application will be now heard on the 12th of this month after his lawyer put the State on notice that he will make a fresh bail application on changed circumstances.

Through his defence counsel led by Beatrice Mtetwa, Chin’ono told the state that they are opting to make a fresh bail application on changed circumstances.

In response, the state represented by Mr Michael Reza and Ms Tendai Shonhai told the trial Magistrate that they had been informed about the new developments a few minutes before the court session.

As a result, the state told the court that due to constraints of time they would only respond by Wednesday next week.

The magistrate then ruled that the matter be heard in full on Wednesday 12 August.

Chin’ono is charged with inciting public violence through social media messages calling for Zimbabweans to participate in the flopped July 31 demonstrations.

Meanwhile, High Court Judge Justice Tawanda Chitapi has dismissed a bail appeal by Transform Zimbabwe Leader, Jacob Ngarivhume.

Ngarivhume is also being charged with inciting public violence.

Ngarivhume had approached the High Court challenging the decision delivered by the lower court in which the Harare Magistrate  Mr Trynos Utahwashe opposed his bail on the basis that Ngarivhume’s post on Twitter was confrontational, adding that the investigating officer cannot be faulted in his fears,” that the planned protests would turn violent.

However Ngarivhume’s defence counsel, Mr Moses Nkomo said he was disappointed by the judgement which he is going to study carefully and decide on the next step.