China reports zero domestic confirmed COVID-19 cases for 3 consecutive days

THERE had been no reports of domestically confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on the Chinese mainland for three days in a row as of Friday, according to data from the Chinese health authority Saturday.

“On March 20, all the provincial-level regions and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps reported 41 new imported confirmed cases, seven new deaths which were all in Hubei, and 36 new suspected cases. On the day, 590 patients were discharged from hospital upon recovery, 1 191 close contacts were removed from medical observation and the number of patients in critical conditions decreased by 173. As of 23:59 on March 20, the provincial-level regions and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps still had 6 013 confirmed cases, of which 1 963 were in critical conditions,” said Mi Feng, spokesman of the National Health Commission.

Since the outbreak of the epidemic, a total of 71 740 patients had been discharged from hospital after recovery, the total death toll had reached 3 255, and the confirmed cases had reached 81 008. There were 106 suspected cases at present. While a total of 685 866 close contacts had been traced, 9 371 of them were still under medical observation.
“No new confirmed cases or new suspected cases were reported on the day in Hubei. There were no suspected cases at present. The number of newly discharged patients stood at 561, including 502 in Wuhan. There were seven new deaths, with six in Wuhan. There were still 5 719 confirmed cases undergoing medical treatment in Hubei, including 5 610 in Wuhan. Of this total, 1 927 were in critical conditions, including 1 901 in Wuhan,” said Mi.

Mi added that a total of 58 942 patients had been discharged from hospitals after recovery in Hubei, with 41 891 in Wuhan. The death toll in Hubei rose to 3 139, including 2 504 in Wuhan. Since the outbreak of the epidemic, a total of 67 800 confirmed cases have been reported in Hubei, including 50 005 in Wuhan.
“On March 20, 41 new imported cases were reported, with 14 of them in Beijing, nine in Shanghai, seven in Guangdong, four in Fujian, two in Zhejiang, Shandong and Shaanxi respectively and one in Sichuan. By the end of March 20, 269 imported cases had been reported,” he said.

The spokesman also pointed out that 408 confirmed cases have been reported in Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan. Specifically, 256 were in Hong Kong, 17 in Macao and 135 in Taiwan.
He said there have been no domestically confirmed cases reported for three days in a row on the Chinese mainland.
Wuhan had reported zero domestically confirmed cases for three consecutive days, other places of Hubei did so for 16 straight days and so did provinces except for Hubei for nine days in a row.

Mi said since March 11, the imported cases in China rose from 85 to 269, up 216 percent, exceeding the 98 percent increase around the world at the same period. Thus, China should prevent imported cases strictly.