Bulawayo on high alert for measles outbreak

By Lisa Masuku

AUTHORITIES in Bulawayo have activated their emergency response mechanisms to guard against the potential spread of measles after reports of an outbreak in Mutasa District where more than 100 cases have been recorded.

This came out during a COVID-19 vaccination update for the city this Friday.

“There is what we call emergency response mechanisms which have been at play for a very longtime. Together as pillars called the epidemic preparedness pillars we have been following up on these outbreaks so that they can be contained. We are also on high alert on some outbreaks happening in neighbouring countries. As a province we are also on high alert for wild Polio Type 1, Cholera, Typhoid, and Measles, said Dr Nhlonipho Sibanda, Divisional Environmental Health Officer for Bulawayo City Council.

Meanwhile, the City’s Senior Heath, Sister Sitshengisiwe Siziba gave an update on the milestones achieved in the Covid-19 vaccination drive for the 12 to 15 age group.

“Our target is to vaccinate over 70% of the 12 to 15 age group. So far we have managed to vaccinate over 30 000 of out of a target of over 60 000,” she said.

The country has made remarkable progress in its COVID-19 response strategy, with more than 50% of the population having been inoculated.